Natural Light bathes the white walls of St. Mary's. Stately columns direct the eye and spirits upward to an elegant barrel-vault ceiling. This is Christopher Wren's vision of a parish church - grand in its simple grace.
"Nothing can add beauty to light," said Christopher Wren, and clear glass lets the beauty in. Following Wren's design, the replacement windows are clear, hand-blown glass manufactured by the Blenko Glass Company.
Columns add height and grandeur. Seven capitals are original and five are replacements. The Ionic and Corinthian elements reflect Wren's eclectic borrowing of classical forms.
Marshall Sisson, a contemporary British restoration architect, executed the subtle Wren ceiling designs. He was joined by a team of local craftsmen as well as Epple Construction of Columbia Missouri. Depicted are the Tudor Rose (for the Monarchy), the Virgin Mary Rose (for St. Mary), the daisy (for innocence), the acanthus leaf (symbolizing heaven), and the egg-and-dart (another classical touch).
Illumination is by chandeliers that replicate original Wren designs - with electricity added. N-L Lighting of Cleveland, Ohio manufactured them.
The nave focuses attention on the altar. The altar table was created for St. Mary's in 1983, and replicates the Wren era style found in the Church of St. Vedast, Foster lane, the successor parish to St. Mary.
The altar floor is black and white marble. The text of the Ten Commandments is from the 17th century Prayer Book in use during Wren's time.
The brass altar set is a gift from the St. Louis Friends of the Memorial.
The Vestry doors, including the columns above each door, are by Wren's chief woodcarver, Grindling Gibbons, whose shops created the original carvings for St. Mary.
These carvings are from another church, contemporaneous with St. Mary.
The carvings on the reredos, baptismal, and balcony are by Arthur Ayers of London in the style of Gibbons. The lighter carvings are of lime wood; the other carvings are of oak.
All other woodwork is American oak, executed in the Wren period style.
The pulpit is from the Church of All Hallows, London, where it was installed in 1683. All hallows burned in the Great Fire of London and was rebuilt by Christopher Wren. The pulpit was probably designed by Wren and executed under his direction. The pulp lit was given to the memorial by the Diocese of London as a memorial to those who died on September 11, 2001.
As a young fire warden in 1940, Noel Mander watched St. Mary burn. As a mature and distinguished organ builder, Mander built the 38-rank tracker organ for the Church in Fulton.
The 18th century organ case is from the Woolwich Parish Church, Kent. The organ contains two ranks of 18th century pipes.